Monday, October 24, 2016

Poor Sleep Hygiene with Acquired Melatonin Insufficiency


Don't Go Towards the Blue Light

#inktober2016
#MaybeYouShouldSeeADoctorAboutThat

Of my many health crimes, sleep deprivation was clearly the biggest and the least debatable. I felt fine on 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night for over a decade. I did. And I was an excellent sleeper during those few hours that I was in bed, rarely having any trouble falling asleep or staying asleep. 

And I could look at my blaringly blue-lit phone right before bed, say at 1 am, and not have it effect my sleep either.

Of course, I was so horrendously sleep deprived that really nothing could keep me awake.

Now that I have spent a lot of time reading and listening to various authorities tell me how essential regular sleep is and how damaging the bright blue light pouring out of all of our electronic devices can be to circadian rhythm, I can't look at my phone after 7 pm without wincing.

But I am still doing it. Case in point, finishing this post at 8:56 pm. while wincing.

But I do have my phone set to "night shift" And I am going to put my phone away and go to bed really soon. 

Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment