Thursday, April 30, 2015

Godzilla Views the Brooklyn Bridge From a Respectful Distance



My son's second grade class is studying the Brooklyn Bridge from now until the end of the school year. It's rare that I can convince my sons of the goodness of a napkin image that is related to school materials, so I couldn't just draw the bridge or any of its historical characters. While adding Godzilla to the image made it more palatable, I also could not depict the usual destructive relationship between the giant radioactive lizard and urban infrastructure.  Let's say that Godzilla is just admiring the bridge's construction.

My older son was definitely disappointed in my portrayal of Godzilla. On the way to school this morning, he reprimanded me for not drawing the cooler 2014 version, and pointed out that the lizard's size in relation to the bridge was not right.... And, "Mom, it's green! Really! What Godzilla is green??!!"

As you might be able to guess, it was very late last night when I drew this and I did foolishly hope that I could leave it a bit indeterminate as to which version I was aiming for. No such luck.

2 comments:

  1. You mean Godzilla ISN'T green? I thought he was a giant lizard. A giant GREEN lizard. But then, I'm a grown-up lacking imagination. What do I know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have been told repeatedly that he is not green, yet I can't really accept it....Cognitive dissonance at work.

      Delete