Saturday, November 3, 2018

Inktober 2018 Day 17


Not My Most Authentic Self:

Tooth enamel is the hardest biological substance known, and lasts longer than the other parts of the skull. Given my dental challenges, I am not confident about the longevity of the rest of me.

While never a skilled smiler, I had exemplary teeth until the age of 35. I was a dental hygiene zealot during childhood and didn’t have a single cavity until pregnant with our first child. But things started to fall apart then, and have continued to decline ever since. 

I sculpted a partial mask with big grinning teeth to wear in a cibachrome photograph many years ago. At that point, I was mostly interested in the social ramifications of a big fake smile.  

But now that my actual smile is no longer entirely natural, I have a slightly different perspective on what the wearing of fake teeth might mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment