Saturday, November 3, 2018

Inktober 2018 Day 13


Is It What’s Inside That Counts?

I often find myself telling sculpture students that when they are working on a mouth, they need to think about the surfaces wrapping around from the outside to the inside...rather than just drawing a line.  

I do repeat myself a lot, both in class and everywhere else.

But the human inside- ie the mouth and the digestive tract- is in fact basically outside. We are essentially walking tubes that support a whole system of microorganisms. 

(A little off the topic of heads and their distortions, I know.)

But to finish the thought...my tube of microorganisms spends a huge amount of time on the subway, usually accompanied by the bacteria and viral transfer mechanisms otherwise  known as children. 

So I figure the majority of my interior tube has probably been colonized by microorganisms from the New York City Subway tubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment