Saturday, January 16, 2016

Hybrid Unicorn Owl Pig Creature


Our kids really enjoyed "Kaptara Volume 1: Fear Not, Tiny Alien" by Chip Zdarsky, art by Kagan McLeod. The Image Comics blurb says that it is about "a world filled with danger and weird danger and dangerous weirdos!" It is definitely filled with extremely imaginative combinations of animals, monsters, pseudo-humans, etc. Our kids are always up for a universe where troop transport vehicles are made of giant pugs with tank treads.

We thought the comic was great, and look forward to the next installment. Nonetheless, I can't give it a ringing endorsement as a book for kids, because perhaps other parents wish to refrain from reading age-inappropriate materials to their offspring. I did do some editing during my reading, and the book is relatively inoffensive, but there is perhaps too much gleeful profanity for the average 8 year old....or for the parents of the average 8 year old.  It is already too late to completely avoid such language around here, I am afraid.

My younger son spotted a strange creature stuffed in the corner of one of the frames and exclaimed that he wanted a creature like that drawn on a napkin.  As near as he could tell, it was some amalgamation of owl, pig and unicorn parts.

While the creature was kinda cute in Kaptara, my son tells me that my rendition is definitely nightmare fuel.
I have to admit that I agree with his assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment