Monday, October 8, 2018

Inktober 2018 Day 5


My Own Sidekick
(Self-Ventriloquism)

The creepiness of vents is possibly only matched by the creepiness of some ventriloquists.

While preparing for a class in portrait sculpture this fall, I found myself thinking a bit about those puppets that we are not supposed to call “dummies”.....why are they so creepy? and why do I think they have something to say about representing the human head and portrait sculpture? 

Maybe part of the issue is the human brain’s proclivity to project life and intention on inanimate objects? Puppets often come off as more lively than their masters. The vent is usually the one with the boundary-pushing funny lines, while the “real person” is the boring straight man

(If this topic interests you at all, google Nina Conti and/or the movie “Her Master’s Voice” for some meta-ventriloquism material.)

I’ve made a lot of real world sculptural effigies of myself, but never a puppet with a hinged jaw. 

Perhaps just as well, I would be too easily upstaged. 

1 comment:

  1. I've been exploring for a little bit for any quality articles or blog posts on this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this internet website online. Studying this info So I'm happy to bring that I've an exceptionally remarkable uncanny feeling i discovered out just what I wanted. I such lots indisputably will ensure to do now not push aside this website and deliver it a look on a constant basis. Refer this website for anu kind of essay writing assistance.

    ReplyDelete