Thursday, October 4, 2018

Inktober 2018 Day 4


Solutions To Problems I Didn’t Even Know I Had:

It seems that our ability to recognize faces is mostly based on overall patterns and not the particular facial features. But most verbal descriptions (and police sketch artists) rely on the type of features because it’s pretty hard to verbalize the pattern rather than, say, “she has a big nose.” 

I read that there are face feature kits, so one can assemble the face of a criminal from various parts.  But I also read that the success rate with such kits is low. (Eigenfaces work better...but maybe more on those later in the month)

But clearly, as far as self portraits go, all it takes is a bit of feature displacement for the whole thing to go off the rails. 

(My kind spouse recently got a new printer - with all the ink cartridges! So I was able to print out a large unflattering (so say I) photo of my face)

No comments:

Post a Comment